Flooding is causing difficulties for residents of Myitkyina, after heavy rain has caused the Irrawaddy (Mali Hka) river water levels to rise since June 23.
One resident whose house is situated beside the river in the Kachin State capital had to move all his belongings to a safer place after heavy rains caused flooding in the upper sections.
According to a resident in a Shatapru quarter, also located beside the river, he’s packing his belongings at night out of fear the water will eventually get into his home.
“It’s still raining. We don’t know when the water will come to our house so we put our things on higher ground,” said the resident.
Flooding is expected to soon reach the town affecting businesses and residents.
Many people living close to the riverbank are Internally Displaced People (IDPs). The IDPs are worried the rising water levels will flood their quarter.
“We moved here to escape the conflict. Now we have to move again because of the flooding. We have to face many difficulties,” said one of the IDPs.
Where the N'Mai and Mali rivers meet near Myitsone, flooding has severely affected jade operations and residences.
Every year, during the raining season, the Irrawaddy River floods Myitkyina. In 2004, severe flooding killed residents and caused widespread damage to properties.
Flooding this year will make life even harder for the estimated 75,000 IDPs who have been displaced by the ongoing conflict between the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) and Burmese military.
- ကခ်င္ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ားကို ကယ္ထုတ္ရန္ အသင္းေတာ္ ၾကိဳးပမ္း ေန (News) 14 Apr 2018
- ျမန္မာစစ္တပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တိုက္ပြဲတြင္ ရြာသား ၁ ဦး ေသဆုံး၊ ၁ ဦး ထိခိုက္ (News) 13 Apr 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ ၏ Awng Lawt ထိုးစစ္ေၾကာင့္ ေဒသခံ ျပည္သူ ၂၀၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ပိတ္မိေန (News) 12 Apr 2018
- တုိက္ပြဲေၾကာင့္ အင္းေတာ္ၾကီးအိုင္ ေဒသ ရြာသား ၂၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ထြက္ေျပး (News) 12 Apr 2018
- ကခ်င္ပါတီေပါင္းစည္းေရးမွာ USDP ပါတီနဲ႔ မဟာမိတ္ပ်က္ခဲ့တဲ့ UDPKS မေနာတုိင္ပါတီ ပါဝင္လာ (News) 12 Apr 2018