Flooding is causing difficulties for residents of Myitkyina, after heavy rain has caused the Irrawaddy (Mali Hka) river water levels to rise since June 23.
One resident whose house is situated beside the river in the Kachin State capital had to move all his belongings to a safer place after heavy rains caused flooding in the upper sections.
According to a resident in a Shatapru quarter, also located beside the river, he’s packing his belongings at night out of fear the water will eventually get into his home.
“It’s still raining. We don’t know when the water will come to our house so we put our things on higher ground,” said the resident.
Flooding is expected to soon reach the town affecting businesses and residents.
Many people living close to the riverbank are Internally Displaced People (IDPs). The IDPs are worried the rising water levels will flood their quarter.
“We moved here to escape the conflict. Now we have to move again because of the flooding. We have to face many difficulties,” said one of the IDPs.
Where the N'Mai and Mali rivers meet near Myitsone, flooding has severely affected jade operations and residences.
Every year, during the raining season, the Irrawaddy River floods Myitkyina. In 2004, severe flooding killed residents and caused widespread damage to properties.
Flooding this year will make life even harder for the estimated 75,000 IDPs who have been displaced by the ongoing conflict between the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) and Burmese military.
- လူ ၂ ဦး သတ္ျဖတ္ၿပီး ၅ ဦးကို ထိခိုက္ေသာ ဆင္ကို KIA စစ္သားမ်ား ပစ္သတ္ (News) 17 Jul 2018
- ေက်ာက္ ကုမၸဏီ မုိင္းေဖာက္ခြဲမႈေၾကာင့္ ဆန္ခါေမွာ္ ကမ္းပါး ျပိဳက်မႈ ျဖစ္ (News) 17 Jul 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ ေျမျပိဳက်မႈ လူ (၁၇)ဦး ေသဆံုး၊ ကယ္ဆယ္ေရး ရပ္ (News) 17 Jul 2018
- Jade Land ကုမၸဏီမွ က်ဴးေက်ာ္ ျခံခတ္ လာျခင္းကို ေဒသခံမ်ား မလိုလား (News) 16 Jul 2018
- တားဆီးခံ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ား လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး လူငယ္ဆႏၵျပ ေခါင္းေဆာင္ (၃)ဦးအမႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 Jul 2018