On Saturday, August 11, Burmese government troops gang raped a teenaged Shan girl—the 14-year-old daughter of U Thein Win, the headman from Tung Pin Village in Kachin State’s Mohnyin district.
According to sources close to the victim, the girl was raped by a group of Burmese soldiers from the Mohnyin-based Infantry Battalion No. 15, which is led by Captain Zaw Htet Min. The army section is currently stationed in her village of Tung Pin, located near an Indawgyi Lake village between Lung Tung and Se Zin.
The girl was hospitalized in Lung Tung, as she lost too much blood and fell unconscious, said sources from the hospital.
The soldiers responsible for the rape have not been prosecuted; however the victim’s father has brought the case to the Mohnyin District Administration Office.
- Hpakant road closed for 3 hours after Burma army’s artillery fire (News) 18 May 2017
- Child killed, two girls injured in Kachin landmine blast (News) 24 Apr 2017
- Around 100 Burmese military vehicles march to northern Shan State (News) 24 Apr 2017
- Kachin people prepare for second session of 21st Century Panglong Conference (News) 27 Jan 2017
- Detained Kachin pastors transferred to Muse Police Station (News) 26 Jan 2017