Government troops and forces from the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) clashed for much of the day on Wednesday in northern Shan state, the Kachin news group has learned. Heavy fighting took place near Nam Tau in Pangsai township. Fighting also broke out in Hka Hpawk and Kawng Yaw which are located near Pangsai. Details remain scarce however as most if not all of the phone connections with the area appear to have been cut off.
Today's clashes are a continuation of recent fighting that began two weeks ago in south eastern Kachin state near the Shan/Kachin border. The recent series of fighting appears to be the most serious round of clashes to break out since early last year. This latest round of fighting began whilst Kachin Independence Army's vice chief of staff Brig-Gen Gun Maw, was on a visit to the United States. His visit was an unprecedented visit for a KIO official, a visit that apparently did not please the Tatmadaw.
KIO calls for follow-up meeting with governmentFollowing a meeting of the National Ceasefire Coordination Team, a grouping of representatives from various rebel groups, KIO officials indicated their desire for talks with the central government in Myitkyina in May. It remains unclear if the government will reciprocate the KIO's request.
- ပါတီ ေပါင္းစည္းျခင္း ကုိ လက္ခံမည့္ ကခ်င္ လူထုညီလာခံ ဧျပီ ၁၀ ရက္ သို႔ ရက္ ျပန္ ေရႊ႕ (News) 21 Mar 2018
- ေမခ၊ ေငၚ့ခ်န္းခ ေရကာတာ စီမံကိန္းမ်ား ရပ္ရန္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ဆႏၵျပ (News) 15 Mar 2018
- ကခ်င္ ျပည္သူမ်ားကုိ ေသြးစုပ္ေနေသာ တရုတ္ သစ္သ်ွဴး ငွက္ေပ်ာ အႏၱရယ္ (News) 14 Mar 2018
- ကခ်င္ ေပါင္းစည္း ပါတီ အား အတည္ျပဳမည့္ လူထု ညီလာခံ ရက္ ေနာက္ဆုတ္ (News) 13 Mar 2018
- ျမစ္ၾကီးနား-ပူတာအုိ ကားလမ္း ေပါက္ျပီ ျဖစ္ေသာ္လည္း ဓါတ္ဆီေစ်း ျမင့္တက္ ေနဆဲ (News) 9 Mar 2018