Government troops and forces from the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) clashed for much of the day on Wednesday in northern Shan state, the Kachin news group has learned. Heavy fighting took place near Nam Tau in Pangsai township. Fighting also broke out in Hka Hpawk and Kawng Yaw which are located near Pangsai. Details remain scarce however as most if not all of the phone connections with the area appear to have been cut off.
Today's clashes are a continuation of recent fighting that began two weeks ago in south eastern Kachin state near the Shan/Kachin border. The recent series of fighting appears to be the most serious round of clashes to break out since early last year. This latest round of fighting began whilst Kachin Independence Army's vice chief of staff Brig-Gen Gun Maw, was on a visit to the United States. His visit was an unprecedented visit for a KIO official, a visit that apparently did not please the Tatmadaw.
KIO calls for follow-up meeting with governmentFollowing a meeting of the National Ceasefire Coordination Team, a grouping of representatives from various rebel groups, KIO officials indicated their desire for talks with the central government in Myitkyina in May. It remains unclear if the government will reciprocate the KIO's request.
- Kachin villagers tell of army horrors in Hpakant, Danai and Injangyang Townships (News) 18 May 2018
- ယုဇနကုမၸဏီႏွင့္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ၾကား ေျမယာအေရး ျပႆနာ ထပ္ျဖစ္ (News) 17 May 2018
- "ဗံုးၾကဲခံရ၊ သတ္ျဖတ္ခံရတာေတြေၾကာင့္" (Interview) 16 May 2018
- စစ္ေရွာင္ လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး ဆႏၵျပ ဦးေဆာင္ လူငယ္ (၃)ဦး အမွႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 May 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ အေသေရဖ်က္မႈျဖင့္ ကခ်င္လူငယ္ သပိတ္ ေခါင္းေဆာင္ (၃)ဦး ကို တရားစြဲ (News) 15 May 2018