Troops from Burma's military faced off against forces from the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) for nearly the whole day on Thursday at Kyauk Pya located on the Bhamo to Namhkam road, in south eastern Kachin state, KIA officials and local residents tell the Kachin News Group.
Naw La, a resident of Manwing village who witnessed the fighting said that the clashes began at about 8 am and lasted until 5pm.
The clashes began in Kyauk Pya when a convoy of 14 trucks carrying rations and military supplies was passing through the area. The convoy which appeared to be headed to Kai Htik was protected by a large group of soldiers from Light Infantry Division No. 88.
KIA troops from Battalion 1 and 27 under the group's 3rd Brigade were able to halt the convoy's progress. By Thursday evening Burmese troops retreated to nearby Bang Hkam Pa military base. The convoy was still unable to move on Friday according to Zau Shan, a senior officer with the KIA 3rd Brigade.
More fighting is expected if the Tatmadaw tries another push on Kyauk Pya, Zau Shan said.
- Kachin villagers tell of army horrors in Hpakant, Danai and Injangyang Townships (News) 18 May 2018
- ယုဇနကုမၸဏီႏွင့္ ေဒသခံမ်ား ၾကား ေျမယာအေရး ျပႆနာ ထပ္ျဖစ္ (News) 17 May 2018
- "ဗံုးၾကဲခံရ၊ သတ္ျဖတ္ခံရတာေတြေၾကာင့္" (Interview) 16 May 2018
- စစ္ေရွာင္ လြတ္ေျမာက္ေရး ဆႏၵျပ ဦးေဆာင္ လူငယ္ (၃)ဦး အမွႈ ထပ္မံ ရံုးခ်ိန္း (News) 16 May 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ အေသေရဖ်က္မႈျဖင့္ ကခ်င္လူငယ္ သပိတ္ ေခါင္းေဆာင္ (၃)ဦး ကို တရားစြဲ (News) 15 May 2018