An alliance of political parties in Kachin State has demanded that the Burma Army stop its offensives that are happening in advance of the Union Peace Conference (also called the 21st Century Panglong Conference) planned for this Wednesday.The Kachin Parties Coordination Committee (KPCC)—that consists of the Kachin Democratic Party, Lhaovo National Unity and Development Party, and Kachin State Democracy Party—issued a statement that said in the eyes of the people and international community the attacks harm the integrity of the peace conference.
Just days after the Maijayang Summit brought most of the country’s ethnic armed groups together for peace discussions—a gathering that was publically criticized by the Burma Army—it started attacking the Kachin Independence Army's (KIA) Battalion 14 in Hukawng Valley.
The fighting has also broken out in several other areas of the state, displacing many civilians.
About two-hundred have been reportedly pushed over the border into China.
Last week, after suffering high casualties the Burma Army reportedly deployed two Russian-made Mi-35 attack helicopters during fighting with KIA Mobile Battalion 235 camps located around Nhkram Bum Mountain—near the KIA’s political wing, Kachin Independence Organisation (KIO) Laiza headquarters.
KIO information officer Lt Col Naw Bu said the Burma Army may be launching the offensives to pressure the ethnic armed groups that have not signed the nationwide ceasefire agreement to take part in last year's controversial pact that was rejected by the majority of the most prominent groups.
- ေမွာ္ဝမ္းကေလး ရာအိမ္မွဴး၊ ဒုရာအိမ္မွဴး တာဝန္မွ ရပ္စဲေရး တုိင္ၾကားခ်က္ စတင္စစ္ေဆး (News) 19 Oct 2018
- ဖားကန္႔ စပ်စ္ခူးေက်းရြာဦးပုိင္း ေျမစာစြန္႔ပစ္မႈျပႆနာ ေျဖရွင္းေပးရန္ ေတာင္းဆုိ (News) 19 Oct 2018
- လံုျခံဳစြာ ေနရပ္ျပန္ႏုိင္ေရး ကခ်င္ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ား ကုလ ကုိယ္စားလွယ္ ကို တင္ျပ (News) 18 Oct 2018
- ဆႏၵျပေခါင္းေဆာင္ ၃ ဦးေပၚ စြဲခ်က္ ႐ုတ္သိမ္းေပးရန္ ဂ်ပန္ေရာက္ ကခ်င္မ်ား ေတာင္းဆုိ (News) 18 Oct 2018
- KNG TV Oct.18 Kachin State news (KNG TV) 18 Oct 2018