At least 28 Burma army soldiers were killed last week in Kachin state, according to an official with the armed wing of the Kachin Independence Organization (KIO), which has been engaged in a 14-month long conflict against the central government.
On August 8, 20 Burma army personnel were killed and at least as many injured when a large mine exploded on a road in Gangdau Yang village located on the Myitkyina to Bhamo (Manmaw) route in south eastern Kachin state, according to the official, an officer from the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) who spoke on condition of anonymity.
According to eyewitnesses, several military trucks loaded with both wounded and deceased soldiers were sent to Waingmaw (Waimaw) shortly after the explosion.
The fallen troops were part of an army column of more than 100 military personnel headed to Hpalap Bum, the headquarters of the KIA's local mobile battalions, the KIA officer said.
On August 11, 8 other Burmese soldiers and 5 KIA soldiers were killed following fighting at Saga Pa in the Sadung region of Waingmaw township, according to the KIA officer.
From the beginning of this month Burma's military has sent large numbers of reinforcements to Dawhpumyang, over 10 miles southwest of Laiza, according to KIA officers monitoring the situation.
The army has also sent more reinforcements to KIA controlled areas in the Sadung region of Kachin state, similar army reinforcements have also been sent to KIA territory in Northern Shan state.
While Burma's chief government negotiator Railway Minister Aung Min is supposed to sit down with his counterparts from the KIO for talks again this month, these talks have yet to take place. The reported cause in the delay is over a disagreement about the location for the next meeting.
- ကခ်င္ စစ္ေရွာင္မ်ားကို ကယ္ထုတ္ရန္ အသင္းေတာ္ ၾကိဳးပမ္း ေန (News) 14 Apr 2018
- ျမန္မာစစ္တပ္ ႏွင့္ KIA တိုက္ပြဲတြင္ ရြာသား ၁ ဦး ေသဆုံး၊ ၁ ဦး ထိခိုက္ (News) 13 Apr 2018
- တပ္မေတာ္ ၏ Awng Lawt ထိုးစစ္ေၾကာင့္ ေဒသခံ ျပည္သူ ၂၀၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ပိတ္မိေန (News) 12 Apr 2018
- တုိက္ပြဲေၾကာင့္ အင္းေတာ္ၾကီးအိုင္ ေဒသ ရြာသား ၂၀၀ ေက်ာ္ ထြက္ေျပး (News) 12 Apr 2018
- ကခ်င္ပါတီေပါင္းစည္းေရးမွာ USDP ပါတီနဲ႔ မဟာမိတ္ပ်က္ခဲ့တဲ့ UDPKS မေနာတုိင္ပါတီ ပါဝင္လာ (News) 12 Apr 2018