Wednesday, Aug 29 — Fighting between the Burmese government troops and the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) broke out between the two mining villages of Maw Mau Bum and Myauk Hpyu in Hpakant at 3 P.M. Some civilian homes were burnt by shelling from the Burmese soldiers, said eyewitnesses. Fighting had occurred in the area on Monday, August 27 as well.
Burmese military orders evacuation of 11 jade mining villages in Hpakant
Wednesday, August 29 — At 1 a.m. this morning, Burmese troops ordered the evacuation of 11 jade mining villages in Hpakant jade mining township in Burma’s western Kachin State, said people in the jade mines. Government troops instructed residents and miners to gather all belongings and leave immediately.
The announcement was broadcasted over loudspeakers in jade mining villages, such as Maw Mau Layang, Maw Mau Bum, Nba La Hka, Tawng Phyu, Myawk Pyu, Sharaw Hka, Seng Ja Bum, Mana Maw, Kalaw Maw, Pyi Chawng, and Maw Wan Kalay, according to miners. Since this morning, hundreds of miners and native Kachin residents have begun returning home from the evacuation.
KIA shuts down entry to Hpakant
Tuesday, Aug 28 — As of today, the Kachin Independence Army (KIA) 2nd Brigade has shut down all entry to Hpakant jade mining township in western Kachin State, said Hpakant-based KIA officers. Only people residing in the jade mines will be permitted to return home.
- Ethnic armed groups summit in Laiza ends with call for federal union (News) 31 Jul 2014
- EU fund to KNG (About Us) 31 Oct 2014
- China denies abandoning Yunnan-Burma rail line (News) 25 Jul 2014
- Burma's ethnic armed groups meet in Laiza for peace conference (News) 24 Jul 2014
- KIA soldier killed by Burma army, 2 KIA officers arrested (News) 14 Jul 2014